Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Thursday, October 4, 2007
Last week, I took a workshop in solarplate etching at Two Rivers Printmaking Studio. This is a method of etching using polymer plates that uses no acid or other chemicals to etch the plate. In preparing for the workshop, I did a drawing I hated, so, in desperation, I picked some leaves from the yard, scanned them into Photoshop and "messed around" with them until I got an image that looked OK. After a couple of tries, I ended up with this print that started with a few dandelion leaves. I printed the whole plate with yellow ochre first, then printed just the leaf area again with black. The registration, amazingly, worked perfectly; I just plonked the plate down over the printed yellow image by eye. The image is a bit odd, I'll admit, but I loved the dark, velvety black contrasted with the almost-shiny yellow. I'll be doing more experimenting with solarplate over the winter. Right now, I have to think about printing and framing for the critter show.