Thursday, April 29, 2010

April Snow





Littleton NH had nearly a foot of snow yesterday, so I decided to head up that way to see if I could find some to paint. When I left home, it was 50 degrees and sunny. By the time I got to Franconia Notch, it was 35 and snowing! I ended up at "The Rocks," a Christmas tree farm owned by the Society for the Protection of NH Forests in Bethlehem, NH. Even though I've been a member of the SPNHF for years, I'd never been there. What a place! There were a million things to paint, but I finally settled on a view of the front of the stone house. My choice was due partly to parking availability. I can take the heat, I even like the cold (!), but no one can paint plein air in wind as blustery as it was today. So I painted in the car. My painting isn't finished, and it ended up way too warm, probably because of the reddish underpainting, but I'll show it to you anyway. It's still in the pochade box, sitting on the car. I'll post the finished version at some point. I'm also posting a photo of the part of the building I'm calling the garage, just to show the snow that was falling as I was walking around looking for subject matter. What a great day!

3 comments:

Hannah Phelps said...

Good for you, chasing the snow all over the state! I look forward to the finished painting!

Gill Truslow said...

It's great to see your work again, Barbara. You're following Georgia O'Keefes style of painting from your car! I've got to get outside to paint more.

Barbara Carr said...

Thanks, folks! Still not finished; I guess the current heat wave is keeping me from thinking about snow!