Friday, February 5, 2010

Exciting Sighting


Today I was just sitting down to eat lunch and saw a movement outside, dark against the snow. A second look: it was a fisher (a.k.a. fisher cat), coming down from up near the garden! I grabbed the camera (handily on the table, as I'd just come back from a morning painting trip) and Steve opened the door. Out of the four photos, this is the only one that really shows the fisher. I saw one up north about 10 years ago and thought it was once-in-a-lifetime. Woo hoo!

4 comments:

Jessica G. said...

Cool! Glad Patches didn't tangle with it!

Barbara Carr said...

Old Patches would have come out on the short end, I think. They're ferocious.

Philip Koch said...

My wife and I were up in Maine last summer and saw something cross the road we'd never seen before. It was pretty big, but it also had a low profile like this fisher you photographed. How big are those guys?

Barbara Carr said...

barbaracarr42@gmail.comPhilip, I think your "pretty big" comment puts it in the right category. They're about 2 feet long, plus another 12 to 15 inches of tail. Just to show how tough they are, one of their favorite meals is porcupine. You're really lucky to have (most likely) seen one.